Tuesday, February 24, 2009

iLog 2009: Days 19 - 23

Day 19: Thursday
A Story: Nikola Tesla visited Henry Ford at his factory, which was having some kind of difficulty. Ford asked Tesla if he could help identify the problem area. Tesla walked up to a wall of boilerplates and made a small X in chalk on one of the plates. Ford was thrilled, and told him to send an invoice.
The bill, for $10,000, arrived. Ford asked for a breakdown. Tesla sent another invoice which read: "marking a small X in chalk = $1; knowing where to put the X = $9,999".

A Testimony: Eddie and Joan paid me cash for helping with their recording software yesterday. I felt that what they paid was a little excessive, and spoke with Joan this morning about it. She simply stated it was for knowing where to put the X.

A Blessing: I went to get my guitar out of the shop today, because it needed some work. The charge was 61 cents less than what Joan paid me yesterday. I was able to pay cash for my guitar and not use our checking account. God knew what he was doing.

A Job Offer: For the last several months, a local U.S. Cellular store, Cellular Plus, has been having remote broadcasts at least once a month with our radio stations. I have been the one to actually broadcast from the store, and so I've come to know the crew there pretty well. At the last remote, I had mentioned how I had gone to part time at the station.
Today, the store manager called me, out of the blue, and offered me a part time job with the store. I was in awe; I was flattered; I was humbled. She told me a little bit about it and set up a time for me to come in tomorrow and visit with them about it. Ok. What's up, God?

Day 20: Friday
Bridget and the fam took BoBo to meet her parents, Tam-Tam and Grandpa, in Lawton, so he can stay the weekend with them in Chickasha. He is very excited.
I went in to visit with the "powers that be" at Cellular Plus, and the deal sounds pretty sweet. Flexible hours, base hourly rate that would go up in 6 months plus commissions on contracts and computer repair, weekly pay, potential job growth. Sounds good. Plus, I get to learn how to work on computers and do cellular phone contracts, both of which would be great skills to have in today's job market. I asked for the weekend to pray about it and visit with Bridget about it.

Day 21: Saturday
Eddie introduced his new book, Animal ABCs - A Book of Whimsy, today at the public library. Bear, Popeye, and I went to the library to hear Eddie read some from his book. It was a lot of fun, and we bought a book for kids. Eddie signed it, and the guys were excited. They like "Mr. Eddie."

Bridget went over to a friend's house to sew some curtains for them, and we all wound up spending most of the morning and early afternoon over there. They are good friends. We like them.

Well, the sewing motivated Bridget, so she got some new fabric and came home and sewed new curtains for our house! They look good, too. She then went to the Miss Altus pageant with my mom and sister. The kids and I stayed home and hung out.

Day 22: Sunday
More on this day in a later post.

Day 23: Monday
After talking with my wife, parents, friends, and God, we all decided that the job at Cellular Plus would be a great opportunity for me, so I went in today and told them I would take the job. Kathy, the store manager, was excited and a couple of the other guys tried to get me to start then and there. They actually wanted some time off, I think, but for now I'll go with they just really wanted me to be there.

During this stretch of time, I've been working on music, but I've got musician's block. If that is such a thing. Still walking with God through all this. I start next Monday at Cellular Plus; I wanted to finish this month of immersion. More to come...

0 comments: