Sunday, February 8, 2009

iLog 2009: Week 1

My apologies as the Batcave has been down this week for some remodeling. It all started last Saturday, and I finally had it back in order...well...it's still not completely back in order. I got the computer back up and running late Wednesday night, I think. The days are starting to all run together. I'll post pictures and a more detailed update later today on Sounds From the Batcave. For here and now, let me catch you up on this first week of immersion. Honestly, it's been slow.

Day 1: Sunday
I worked the sound system for ACF like I've done every Sunday but 3 or 4 for the past 13+ months. I have to be there by 8:30 in the morning, and I usually try to spend some time with the Lord before I go, but we were up late Saturday night working on the batcave, so I believe I slept in until 8. (Wow, I used the 3 major conjunctions together in one very long sentence.)
After service and lunch, we napped until game time then headed over to some friends' house to watch the Steelers eek out a thrilling victory over the Cardinals. Good game, great fellowship.
Also, more work on the Batcave.

Day 2: Monday
Back to work at the radio station. Although I'm supposed to be part time now, I put my hour sheet together for payday on the 3rd and realized I had 78 1/2 hours in a little over 2 week time period. My check was around $60 less than what it would have been if I were still on salary. Not bad for part time work.
By the way, our tax return came in on Friday, Jan. 30th. We had prayed for the 2 weeks between filing our taxes and receiving the return over on what to spend the money. So, we've been bidding on some things on the station's Bids For Bargains program. (Bids For Bargains is where an advertiser will trade a certain value of dollars from his/her store/service for that same amount in radio advertising. The station then holds an on-air auction everyday to sell off these items. The opening bids start at half the retail value. Many people get things for up to 50% off retail value. Some items have become so popular that they go for 80-90 cents on the dollar. You're still saving money, but it's a better deal for the station.) So, anyway, we've won Bulldog Furniture open certificates (which mean they spend like cash in the store) and picked up a new dining table and chairs, and a new red leather chair for the Batcave. Since I've been typing this, I honestly don't remember on what day we picked these up, but I know it was this past week.
After spending the afternoon working more on the Batcave, I went to praise band practice up at the Plaza Theater for ACF. Came home and worked some more in the Batcave.

Day 3: Tuesday
Worked at station, napped, worked the Bids For Bargains store at the station till 6:30, worked on Batcave.

Day 4: Wednesday
Worked at station, lunched with friends, napped, received first shipment of new things for the Batcave. Actually, it was a new computer monitor from Newegg (thanks, Chris Provence for turning me on to that site) that I gave my parents, and I took the one they had, because it matched the other one I had in the Batcave. So now I have dual, matching monitors, again. I had that before, but one of the monitors went out, but I'm back in bidness, baby!
We attended Life Group meeting at 7, came home and worked more on the Batcave.

Day 5: Thursday
Worked at station, napped, received second shipment of new things for Batcave, this time from Musician's Friend. I started putting things back together in the Batcave.

Day 6: Friday
Worked at station, ate lunch with a buddy, did a remote from Denny's Home Furnishings, went to the Alumni Association Recognition Banquet at Western Oklahoma State College. The station's owner/manager was out of town and asked Bridget and me to go in his stead. It was a fabulous evening! We even got to hang out with some friends we normally don't get to hang out with after the banquet. Long, but good, day.

Day 7: Saturday
Worked at station till noon, went over to Eddie and Joan Wilcoxen's house and helped with some technical issues in his studio and her office. They bought my lunch for my help. I enjoy spending time with them. He is a consummate story teller, and they are just neat, neat people.
Came home and took a short nap. Picked up last two chairs for dining table out at Bulldog. Good friends came over a little after 6 and stayed until a little before midnight. Time FLEW! We had a great time of abiding and praying and seeking God. I'm sure you'll hear more about that another time.

So, the first week is over, and not a heck of a lot of immersing going on. That will change. The Batcave is in order now, so music should hopefully start to flow soon. Plus, I plan to post everyday or every other day henceforth. Gotta go get ready for service this morning. Til next time!

Soli Deo Gloria

0 comments: